Re: [opensuse-translation] yast2 split off from update-desktop-files
  • From: "Ladislav Michnovič" <ladislav.michnovic@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 10:48:08 +0100
It's filed as Bug 369657 .

Regards Ladislav.

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 5:08 PM, Carlos E. R.
<robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The Tuesday 2008-03-11 at 14:25 +0100, Ladislav Michnovič wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 2:03 PM, Stephan Kulow <> wrote:

I didn't see that reply on the list. :-?

>> > Will there be yast2 entries split off from the huge
>> > update-desktop-files po file?
>> > This will help to have Yast2 translated and don't miss few of Yast
>> > entries because update-desktop-files is so huge and thus mainly
>> > untranslated.

Yes, please!

>> Why you think yast is more important than the other applications in the
file?

It certainly is more important. Very much so!

When we translated the Yast branch we expected yast to display everything
is Spanish, but this ws not so. We were told that some messages where
placed instead in update-desktop-files.

So I translated that lonnnnnng file, and after the patch was made and
published, I learnt that the translations in update-desktop-files were not
to be applied. That was a dissapointment after a month of work.

So, yes, we are very interested in having the yast part separated, and
posibly moved to the Yast branch. Yast is the single most visible program
of Opensuse, and the most important of all.

The rest of the messages I don't think are important. After all, lots of
them are left in English, anyway...

> I don't think it's less important, but if you have one po file with
> 7562 strings where are approx. 3000 untranslated or fuzzy no one wants
> to pick up and translate all of the strings, neither even touch it.
> And I would have rather fully translated entries in YaST2 control
> center than other entries in KDE/GNOME menu.
> What do you think users will appreciate more?

I think the same.

- --
Cheers,