Re: [opensuse-support][TW] menus black Plasma screen
  • From: Knurpht-openSUSE <knurpht@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2019 01:24:49 +0100
Op maandag 11 maart 2019 01:22:29 CET schreef Felix Miata:
Today is not the first time getting black screens trying to use Plasma's app
menu. KDM and XDM

KDM is not a default, SSDM is. Try that.
are the only installed DMs. After duping to 20190307
(32bit today, but other TW installations 64 bit), first attempt to
multi-user.target startx Plasma session produced a black screen. I killed
the session, deleted content of ~/.cache/, then tried again. Session opened
normally, but attempting to open an app from menu turned the screen black.
I had to move the mouse near upper right corner and left click to unblack
the screen. Then I right clicked the starter to see what the menu style is
(non-default, KDE3-style) and the screen turned black again, this time
non-recoverably except to close the session via remote login.
.xsession-errors was last written 2 months ago. If journal or dmesg contain
clues, I'm missing them. Ctrl-Alt-BS instead of closing the session powered
down the PC.

On reboot IceWM from startx worked as expected.

Reboot without vga=791 or video=1440x900@60 and with 5 produces working KDM
and succeeds to open IceWM working as expected. Plasma from KDM is still
blacking the screen in similar fashion to opening from startx. Right click
on desktop also blacks, and Ctrl-Alt-BS worked as expected on last try.

# inxi -G
Graphics: Device-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] RV370 [Radeon
X600/X600 SE] driver: radeon v: kernel
Display: server: X.org 1.20.4 driver: ati,radeon unloaded:
fbdev,modesetting,vesa tty: 189x52
# uname -a
Linux gx151 4.20.13-1-pae #1 SMP Wed Feb 27 18:03:26 UTC 2019 (fb7c4a5) i686
i686 i386 GNU/Linux

--
Gertjan Lettink a.k.a. Knurpht
openSUSE Board Member