[opensuse-summit] Re: The result of call for host of openSUSE.Asia Summit 2019
On Wed, 10 Oct 2018 at 16:17, Fuminobu TAKEYAMA <ftake@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi all,

In 2017, we have used $9900 for TSP by moving $5000 from the general budget.

For openSUSE.Asia, we usually need much budget for TSP because Asia is very
wide and some people come from Euro. So we need to estimate how many people
we want to invite to Bali from abroad.

I guess Indonesia team can collect enough sponsorship for the budget
(excepting for TSP) from local companies.

Best regards,
Fuminobu TAKEYAMA

Indeed we did, but that required a few preconditions

- the openSUSE Asia 2017 team did an awesome job getting sponsorship
from people other than SUSE so SUSE's $5000 was not needed
- SUSE had to agree to the exceptional reallocation of money from it's
initial intent (Sponsoring openSUSE Asia) to it's new intention
(Sponsoring openSUSE's general Travel Support Programme, which
openSUSE then chose to use for openSUSE Asia TSP). This was very
tricky from a budget planning & financial reporting perspective.

Even if the Indonesia team do the same awesome job as the 2017 team
and get so many sponsors that the $5000 from SUSE is not needed, I
cannot promise that SUSE will be in a position to make the same
financial magic to make that "openSUSE Asia Money" available for the
seperate "openSUSE TSP" budget.
Given the big changes happening in the legal and financial structure
of the company, I don't want anyone assuming that just because we did
something in the past, we will be able to do it again.

That said, I'll do my best to support such an arrangement if it
becomes such a possibility. And I like to think we'll be able to make
it work. But please don't plan with the assumption that we will be
able to do it.

Regards,

Richard