Re: [suse-security] list moderation, message mangling (was: TIS FWTK)
  • From: Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 18:09:58 +0100
On Mon, Dec 11, 2000 at 22:26 -0500, MaD dUCK wrote:

> i am personally a big fan of subject prefixes, especially when
> i tell procmail to route several mailing lists into one folder.
> so whenever there is a list that does not have one, i add it
> with sed:
>
> [ ... ]

That's exactly what I said. :) You're perfectly free to do
whatever you want to with the messages you receive and record
somewhere. It's *your* data when you're the terminal station.

It's just that I don't allow a list admin (read: a transporter)
to fiddle with the user supplied data (subject fields, reply-to
fields, from fields, etc). And I get especially upset about this
mangling when it causes some kind of information loss or causes
me and other recipients extra work although there's no (real or
sane) reason to cause this trouble.

Regarding the "marking the list articles with a prefix in the
subject" -- there are already nine(!) other pointers in the
message header (plus the two in the footer) to recognize that the
message belongs to the list. If that's not redundancy, what else
is?

virtually yours 82D1 9B9C 01DC 4FB4 D7B4 61BE 3F49 4F77 72DE DA76
Gerhard Sittig true | mail -s "get gpg key" Gerhard.Sittig@xxxxxxx