Re: [opensuse-project] Election campaign page
On Tue, 2020-08-04 at 10:43 +0400, Ish Sookun wrote:
Dear all,

Stasiek has set up his campaign page at
https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Ad_hoc_Board_election_2020_platform_hellcp.

If you have questions for him as a running candidate, feel free to
ask.

Regards,

Ish Sookun

Hi Stasiek,

Thanks for agreeing to run and posting your platform. I have a few
questions/comments/thoughts in response:

Board Structure - I would be very happy if you could post detailed
suggestions of what Board structure you'd like to see. Given any major
constitutional change will require consent of the openSUSE Membership
(most likely expressed through a vote) I feel this is mostly irrelvant
to your election to the Board - whether you get elected or not, this
topic can be progressed. Indeed, if you do not get elected, I'd still
expect the topic to be discussed, so it seems strange to me that your
platform states you have a general opinion on this topic but you have
not apparently shared it yet.

Role of the Board - You state your dissapointment that the Board does
not involve itself in technical issues, but the openSUSE Board is
explicitly forbidden from "directing or control development". [1]
Are you suggesting not only a constitutional change to the Stucture of
the Board, but also it's scope and role?

Trademark requests - speaking from experience, the Board expends a HUGE
amount of energy on Trademark requests under our guidelines [2]. Most
of these have to be handled privately because they are commercially
sensitive to the companies who wish to be using openSUSE while
complying with our trademark guidelines. However there have been some
clearly visible examples, such as the Tuxedo deal which I took
literally years of negotiations before it bore fruit. I would imagine
the way you have dismissively talked about this in your platform might
have hurt feelings in the team you wish to be joining - I certainly
would be pissed off if I was still in the Board ;)

Your platform does a wonderful job of discussing what you have done for
the Project in the past, which I absolutely adore and praise, but I am
dissapointed that your platform seems to lack any detail on how you'll
act as an actual Board member. I cannot find any detail that maps to
any of the roles the Board is currently constituted to act.
This is a topic I know you have some experience in so here are some
leading questions I'd like to see you answer and flesh out your
platform with.

How do you make yourself available for contact by community members?
Ho
w much time do you engage with community members every week?
What is
your view on conflict resolution?
How do you currently moderate the Discord channel?
Would you like to see that philosophy spread broader across the
community?
How do you make sure that you dont step on the toes of others when
pushing your agenda and contributions in an area where existing
contributors could be present but struggling?
The Board's role includes "Facilitate decision making processes where
needed." - should the Board decide when "when needed" applies, or
should the Board only involve themselves when invited by community
members who wish their help in decision making processes?
What is your opinion of the Project's key sponsor (SUSE)?
How do you intend to communicate and collaborate with SUSE in an
official capacity? What are the first things you're going to ask for?

[1] https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board
[2] https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Trademark_guidelines

--
Richard Brown
Linux Distribution Engineer - Future Technology Team

Phone +4991174053-361
SUSE Software Solutions Germany GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, D-90409
Nuernberg
(HRB 36809, AG Nürnberg)
Geschäftsführer: Felix Imendörffer