Re: [opensuse-project] Please close my membership
  • From: Knurpht-openSUSE <knurpht@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2020 02:11:53 +0200
Op dinsdag 14 juli 2020 19:19:03 CEST schreef James Mason:
Hello,

It is with despair that I ask that you cancel my membership in
openSUSE. The constant bickering on the mailing lists is by far
outweighing any constructive growth/change in the project, and in light
of everything else going on in the world, I just don't have the
headspace for all that negative, unproductive noise.

I'm cc'ing the project overall; please let this serve as a lesson that
if one thinks they can bicker their way to the end result they want,
they may find they arrive there alone.

James Mason
Technical Architect, Public Cloud
SUSE

Please don't, James. It may look like bickering what has happened on this
list, yet it is not. It is about a former board member repeatedly accusing
other community members of sexual discrimimation, destructive behaviour where
no evidence / proof could be found.
I triggered the discussion about this after the last elections on the hand-
over board meeting, since the previous board again received such repeated
accusations from this previous board member. Mind, such accusations IMHO have
to be taken very seriously and have been researched ( also in the past ). But
also IMNSHO a community member cannot make these accusations just like that,
without a public apology if proven wrong or false.
Board and former board members have kept silent about details, feeling bound
to the confidentiality a board position ( and not only that ) requires. So
board has had to deal with, re. f.e. elections, campaign. have I, so far.

During the last elections ( board could not interfere due to obvious reasons )
these accusations started again leaving the board with the choice to actually
interfere with the elections / candidacies . And the disccursion following
brought the current board to give this re-elected former board member the
choice to resign or be removed from the board.
If needed I can and will provide all the evidence / proof of what actually
happened, which will also make clear what an impossible situation the current
board has had to deal with, re. f.e. elections, campaign.

In short: Do not blame the community or all its members please.

On a personal note: I've always appreciated your contributions on the lists,
and your post to me is a good indication how damaging the effect of this anti-
board warfare is for the Project / Community. Please reconsider your decision.

--
Gertjan Lettink a.k.a. Knurpht
openSUSE Forums Team