Re: [opensuse-project] Membership status
Hi,

Am 06.07.20 um 14:19 schrieb Jochen Breuer:
Hello everybody!

I'll make it short… although this seems to be a never ending story.
Some time ago I tried to become an openSUSE member. Due to
contradicting information that was rejected. I didn't provide the
requested information in the right place. I fixed that and re-applied.
That was a few months ago. Since then connect.o.o tells me this:
"Membership request already sent. Please wait for the result."

I have the feeling that the whole membership application system is
severely broken. But I really, really hope that it's only broken in my
case. Because I don't think that other people would suffer through
this!

at least to the technical point I have to agree.
The membership team just sees a queue of requests and processes it.
If insufficient information is provided people (have to) downvote the
application and reject it.
Apparently though after an application is denied (with a reason that the
information was insufficient) and the information is updated it is
sorted into the system with the old votes and comments.

So due to that it's quite hard for the membership team to find that
there is a change at all.
Your application is shown (with the downvotes) and in case a team member
declined he actively would need to recognize the update, and at least
remove his old vote.

So looking at your application there are still two downvotes from the
time where the information was not given. So the process does not allow
to accept your application. Still when looking deeper into it those
downvotes should have been reset but this is not technically the case.
Also only team members can remove their downvote actively.

So the main issue is that the tooling does not really allow to recognize
this situation directly but only with all the context around it.

Wolfgang