Re: [opensuse-project] Re: openSUSE Project Name Change Vote - Results

On 11/11/19 2:27 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
On Mon, 11 Nov 2019 14:04:04 +1030, Simon Lees wrote:
And now we're being told that our vote wouldn't have mattered - which
is precisely the point.

I asked questions *repeatedly* and explained why the information
provided (even after the wiki update) was insufficent for me to be able
to decide on a yes/no vote here, because the name we would change to
*matters* to me for making up my opinion.

If the proposed name was, I don't know, "GoatSe Linux", I'd vote
emphatically NO, because that would be a stupid and offensive name.

If the proposed name was "Chameleon Linux" - I probably would have
voted "yes".

But nobody cared enough to address that concern. So I didn't vote.

That is perfectly fair, I did mention somewhere on a list at some point
that it would probably be advantagious for those keen on changing the
name to put together a possible short list of possible options that
didn't likely have domain / trademark issues as people may be more
likely to support a name change if they saw something they liked. But no
one took the initiative to do that. Personally I didn't because
personally i'm in favor of keeping the current name if possible.

One of the points of holding a leadership position is (in my view) is to
make sure things are handled properly - separating oneself and one's own
views from ensuring the process is handled correctly and equitably to all
is something that I would consider an important characteristic of someone
in a leadership position.

There's an issue of fundamental fairness, along with holding an official
position of impartiality in the decision-making process when a vote takes
place.

Respectfully, I don't think it's reasonable to abrogate one's
responsibility as a community leader just because of a personally-held
opinion about how a vote should go.

While I thought that the argument for changing the name could be
enhanced with a list of suggested proposals I didn't believe the vote
would be inherently unfair without it. Hence suggesting the idea but not
going forward with it.

Either way the result we have is that most people want to stick with
openSUSE regardless of the alternatives that may have been proposed so
now we can stop thinking about changing the name and move to trying our
best to come up with a solution for the foundation that means it has
access to the name as needed.

Like I said - those of us who didn't have enough information don't get a
voice. Had I had sufficient information to make an informed vote, I
would have.

I'm fine with not changing the name. I'm just really disappointed in the
process here, because I feel my vote didn't count because I wasn't
provided an opportunity to formally express that opinion in the vote
itself.

I'm not saying that you personally should have put together a list of
prospective names. I'm saying the vote shouldn't even have been held
until options had been discussed and put forward as options. Perhaps
also what I'm saying is that until those concerns that were raised were
addressed, it's incumbent on the community leadership to do what they can
to ensure that everyone's voice is heard (not just the voices the
leadership personally agrees with) when issues are raised. That plainly
didn't happen here, and that's the source of my disappointment in the
process.

I did raise this in a board meeting, but the decision was made that
given the vote was holding up the foundation process we didn't want to
wait for proposals for a new name to be collected and vetted before
proceeding with the vote and that rather we would have a two stage
process given that most responses on the mailing list had been either
clearly in favor of changing regardless of the new name or not changing.
So in this case the board listened to you (as with those who wanted a
abstain option) and decided against them in this case.

--

Simon Lees (Simotek) http://simotek.net

SUSE Linux Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30

List Navigation