Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE Project Name Change Vote - Results

On 11/9/19 3:50 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:

Nobody really believes that a handful of only 491 "members" using
openSUSE/Tumbleweed represents "the community", do they?

To a large extent I do at least to a "reasonable extent", one of the
roles of a package maintainer is to represent the views / wishes of the
users of said package within the distro, they are in essence the
connecting bridge between users and the distro.

Similarly forum moderators at least from my experience generally
represent the views of those on the forums they moderate (or atleast
consider them anyway) and you could take that analogy forward to many of
the other people who are members.

In recent years membership has been opened up to practically anyone who
is contributing to the project in some way, personally I think this is
quite a reasonable place to draw the line, the people eligible for
membership have all invested some time in the project as some would say
they all have some form of "Skin in the Game"

Opening a vote up to anyone is unlikely to be any fairer, they often
open themselves up to social media campaigns and people getting friends
of friends to vote. We also can't really guarantee to reach every user.
Similarly it would be nearly impossible to create a system that verifies
that people who claim to be users are actually users and not just
someones friend etc. On the other hand under the current system if a
long term user is passionate about having a say, its likely not hard for
them to start contributing in some minor way from support to
documentation which would make them eligible for membership and
therefore to vote.

So while our current system may not be a 100% exact representation of
the community, its likely the most accurate we can come up with. Along
with the fact that while there was enough support for change that this
process was worth while the result was really quite clear and the actual
exact values don't matter that much in our decision making beyond the
"clearly the community that voted wants to keep the existing name"

--

Simon Lees (Simotek) http://simotek.net

SUSE Linux Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30

List Navigation