Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE Project Name Change Vote - Results
On 9/11/19 3:49 am, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
* Axel Braun <axel.braun@xxxxxx> [11-08-19 10:10]:
Hello Christian,

Am Freitag, 8. November 2019, 15:50:02 CET schrieb Christian Imhorst:
thank you! Then we had an electoral participation of 54%. Mmmh, not much
but expected I suppose.
Vote participations are always a topics for itself...be it a political vote or
a name change vote. IMO, if you have the option to vote, it is a implicit duty
to do so. If you cant vote, like in many countries around the world, you will
much more feel the wish to vote and influence the result. Every vote counts!

The result is that 84% of the voters want to keep openSUSE, and this is a
clear vote to my understanding. So we (the board) will continue with the next
steps in direction of a legal structure for the openSUSE project.

Personally I feel that the result is 'good', as openSUSE is a strong and well
known brand.
while I personally want to keep the present "openSUSE" moniker, basing
anything on the vote results is critically flawed as Carlos and I mentioned
earlier and in related threads. Those choosing not to vote as no
agreeable option was presented skews the results and no-one can determine
the true wants of the community. The *only* thing you can report is that
OF THE PEOPLE VOTING, 84% opted to keep openSUSE. you would get a similar
and worthless result if only three poeple voted and two opted to keep the
name.

In the future, if a vote is proposed, at least determine what is necessary
to display the wants of the community as nearly as possible rather than
ONLY the desires of those choosing to vote.

"... the wants of the community ..."?

You CANNOT get a really sensible result when you are using non-statistical methods to determine a "policy", so to speak.

If the Board got rid of the playtime rule about who can become a "member" and gave the membership to everyone who was using openSUSE/Tumbleweed on a regular basis (yes, I know, you want to know how this is to be determined) then you would be getting close to having a complete 'population', or at least know what the complete population may be, who would potentially be the pool of voters. Right now you have 491 voters and you think that this is the total sum of people who use openSUSE/Tumbleweed and excitement when one gets 267 persons to cast a vote.

Nobody really believes that a handful of only 491 "members" using openSUSE/Tumbleweed represents "the community", do they?

BC

--
A quick survey at this office revealed that the preferred method
of getting rid of unwanted pubic hair is to use dental floss.