Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE Project Name Change Vote - Results

* Axel Braun <axel.braun@xxxxxx> [11-08-19 10:10]:
Hello Christian,

Am Freitag, 8. November 2019, 15:50:02 CET schrieb Christian Imhorst:
thank you! Then we had an electoral participation of 54%. Mmmh, not much
but expected I suppose.

Vote participations are always a topics for itself...be it a political vote
or
a name change vote. IMO, if you have the option to vote, it is a implicit
duty
to do so. If you cant vote, like in many countries around the world, you will
much more feel the wish to vote and influence the result. Every vote counts!

The result is that 84% of the voters want to keep openSUSE, and this is a
clear vote to my understanding. So we (the board) will continue with the next
steps in direction of a legal structure for the openSUSE project.

Personally I feel that the result is 'good', as openSUSE is a strong and well
known brand.

while I personally want to keep the present "openSUSE" moniker, basing
anything on the vote results is critically flawed as Carlos and I mentioned
earlier and in related threads. Those choosing not to vote as no
agreeable option was presented skews the results and no-one can determine
the true wants of the community. The *only* thing you can report is that
OF THE PEOPLE VOTING, 84% opted to keep openSUSE. you would get a similar
and worthless result if only three poeple voted and two opted to keep the
name.

While the running of this vote had some issues, I don't think any of
them being handled differently would have lead to 180 more people voting
or changing there vote which is around what would have been needed for
it to be close. But I agree if the vote was much closer it would be hard
to pull meaning out of it.

As a member of the board, I have to say I still have no idea how you
expect me to interpret "abstain" or "neither". I am only really
interested in the change vs no change as long as we got atleast the
usual number of voters. if we were 100 or so down on what we see at
board elections then yeah i'd have more questions.

--

Simon Lees (Simotek) http://simotek.net

SUSE Linux Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30

List Navigation
Follow Ups