[opensuse-project] RFC: How to improve openSUSE websites
Hi there,

being relatively new to the openSUSE community over the past few weeks
I've been digging through websites and wiki. Quite often I stepped into
traps of unclear, misleading or just plain old content. This lead me to
the conclusion that there's urgent need of restructuring lots of things.

The following is a rough braindump strongly intended as RFC. I try to
visualize my thoughts as good as possible with screenshots.

# First sight

The website opensuse.org in overall is looking good and I really like
the coloring. But looking closer there is a lot of clutter which needs
to be restructured.

Important stuff needs to be visible at first glimpse. See the
screenshot taken on a regular FullHD monitor [1] and try to tell what's
this all about - imagining you don't know what openSUSE is. Why not
tell at first sight:
- this is a Linux distribution
- this is how it looks like
- these three things make it outstanding

Positive examples as comparison: Fedora [2], Solus [3]

# Getting information

To get more details I have to scroll quite a lot and/or click very
often in comparison to the amount of information I get in the end. The
waste of space is too high and it should be reduced. Also these
animations are quite annoying. Especially the bouncing circle when
clicking on "How to contribute" > "Code" just to show a few sentences
afterwards.

# Consolidate information

## News

News about ongoing development and information about achievements is
one the crucial thing to be spead out widely. The "News" section on
opensuse.org is just way too small and is just drowned out by the
"Tools" and "Contribute" sections. So we should either remove it there
completely and give it a separate page (See Solus Blog [4]). Or move it
upwards on opensuse.org and make it way more prominent. At least
linking to news.opensuse.org is useless and should be stopped (even
more from a design perspective).

Currently there are way too many places just to get news. Let me
summarize it and - please correct me if I got something wrong:

1. opensuse.org
It grabs first 2-3 sentences of a post and links to it on news.o.o.

2. news.opensuse.org
This filled by Doug and (just guessing) members of news mailing list.

3. lizards.opensuse.org
Looks exactly the same as news.o.o but consists of blog posts by devs
and dev teams. The difference to news.o.o is stated nowhere, the
reasons for this separation not made clear either.

4. planet.opensuse.org
This looks only slightly similar to news.o.o and lizards.o.o, even the
content is different. But: why is dimstar's blog (the TW reviews) and
the Open Build Service blog listed there? Following the logic above it
should at least be in lizards.o.o if not even in news.o.o!

## Website vs. Wiki

Looking at the content of opensuse.org and wiki.opensuse.org I think
there's no clear plan what to put where. My understand of a wiki is a)
collaboratively created content and b) content changing regularly. A
source for documentation if you will.

The "Contribute" section on opensuse.org gives you just a few sentences
but links to a wiki page. This is unnecessary as the ways to contribute
won't hardly change very often. I assume this is mostly done due to the
fact that opensuse.org has hardly any space left for slightly more
detailed information. But that's what a website is made for. Sending
people from URL to URL without giving them a consistent layout is at
best confusing if not frustrating.

Partly positive example: Fedora [5] (sat in comparison to opensuse.org)

That's all for now. I understand that many things have somehow grown
over the years. But as I'm willing to tackle these I am looking forward
to your comments/critics.

Regards,
vinz.

[1] https://vinzv.space/nextcloud/s/HzRmZnH7mwMgkEg