Re: [opensuse-project] Windows 10: A window of opportunity
  • From: Jay <MyMailClone@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2015 16:26:01 +0200
Am Freitag, 31. Juli 2015, 14:06:43 schrieb Antoine Ginies:
Jay:
As Windows 10 is being launched, details emerge what comes along with it.

Just read (1).

You will have an opinion on that.

But as nightmarish as this may seem, it also opens a huge
"Window" of opportunity for openSUSE and OpenSource in general.

What came to my mind here is a campaign to make potential users
aware of major benefits of openSUSE / OpenSource:

- we don't spy on you
- we don't sell your privacy
- we don't handcuff you

Take that as a short sketch.

This could be a campaign just for openSUSE - like a banner on openSUSE.org
- or one that is conducted by and coordinated between the major distros
and perhaps other organizations.

Thoughts?

Microsoft is a partner in many project at SUSE (vmdp, UEFI etc...).
So this is not a good idea to do that....

I understand.

Don't get me wrong: I'm not anti-business. Nor am I anti-Microsoft.
I've been using their products since ages. And some of them were good.

But their new privacy-policy simply goes too far. For me, a red line
has been crossed. And it was Microsoft's well-deliberated choice to do so.

In addition, I realise that the partnership with Microsoft prevents
openSUSE to take advantage of a major opportunity to attract new users.

That's a pity for openSUSE. And a disappointment for any competitive marketer.

I really regret it - but under these circumstances it does not make sense
for me to further participate in the openSUSE-project.

I hope I didn't hurt anybody's feelings in the discussions I took part in.

And I wish you guys and the openSUSE-project all the best! And I mean it.

Good-bye and kind regards!

Rainer Fiebig