Re: [opensuse-project] What about opensuse life cycle and roadmap?
Mandag den 27. juli 2015 23:03:13 skrev jdd:
Le 27/07/2015 20:24, Martin Schlander a écrit :
Of course you can add that the base system will not have major changes in
the major cycle, and thus installing the service packs should be pretty
safe, especially on servers, where the service packs probably won't
change much at all.

the solution is really there, if applying service pack is not worst than
making zypper up, why should this be a problem?

But that is not the case. Installing the service packs will be like a normal
distupgrade. I.e. you'll need to modify your repo URLs and run zypper dup, and
hope that all your funky OBS home repos and packages exist for 42.2 also etc,
and that the Nvidia blob repo has been published etc.

The only way it'll differ from an old style distrupgrade afaict, is that the
base system won't change too much, except probably the kernel in most service
packs.

Possibly the YaST Wagon module could make things easier. I don't know much
about that.

But of course first the user has to actually realize that a "service pack" is
available, as I don't think the system will give any notification. So the user
needs to not live under too many rocks and bushes, and keep an eye on what's
going on. But of course that issue is nothing new - just when people hear
"long term support", they might expect that means they can live under rocks
and bushes for years, with no consequences.