Re: [opensuse-project] What about opensuse life cycle and roadmap?
  • From: Jay <MyMailClone@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2015 20:40:35 +0200
Am Montag, 27. Juli 2015, 20:24:01 schrieb Martin Schlander:
Mandag den 27. juli 2015 19:56:40 skrev Jay:
Am Montag, 27. Juli 2015, 12:31:42 schrieb Greg Freemyer:
What does it mean to say Leap 42.x will be supported until at least
fall 2018? That users are mandated to upgrade to 42.2 and then 42.3
in the meantime to maintain support?

Thus, I would like to know how long will 42.1 be supported without
applying the "42.2 service pack".

Aha!

And separately how long will 42.x be supported if all service packs are
applied?

All good questions. How do you think it SHOULD be?

A few things are pretty clear.

1) The "service packs" will be mandatory. Otherwise you might end up with
3-4 different supported releases at any given time, which is just not going
to happen. There will probably be something like a 6 month time frame to
upgrade to the next "service pack".

I think that would be OK with most users. Or not?

2) It will never be possible to say exactly how long 42.1 is supported. That
depends entirely on the whims of SLE business managers. But I guess we can
rule out service packs coming more frequent than 12 month intervals. So all
you can say is something along the lines of "we expect 42.2 to be released
12-18 months later, and 42.1 will be supported until the release 42.2+6
months".

3) It will never be possible to say exactly when the next major release will
be. That will also depend on the whims of SLE business managers. All you
can say is something along the lines of "42.x will be supported at least 3
years, and at least 6 months (or something) after the release of 43).

OK - then let's say that Leap 42.x will be supported at least for 3 years.
I think that would do for now.

Of course you can add that the base system will not have major changes in
the major cycle, and thus installing the service packs should be pretty
safe, especially on servers, where the service packs probably won't change
much at all.

Sure.

All in all that would look good to me.

Rainer Fiebig