Re: [opensuse-project] 6 : less than 40 different ppl did send a mail on this list ...
On 06/15/2015 08:03 PM, Robert Schweikert wrote:

I am not certain I would call it an "invitation" but in principal that
is the way its is. The release manager that we have and that happens
to get paid by SUSE is now going to build a distribution around SLES
sources. As a contributor he has every right, just like everyone else,
to work on what ever is interesting to him or whatever his employer
feels like he should be working on.

Why is it that we in the openSUSE community would expect this stuff
should work differently for us than it does in any other open source
project? How many contributions are there in the kernel from
@intel.com e-mail addresses that fix issues on ARM? I bet very few if
any. SUSE thinks that there is benefit to have a release based around
the SLES sources. Lengthy and reasonable arguments have been made that
this also happens to be a benefit to the openSUSE project. I agree
there is benefit. Yes, you can look up every response I wrote in those
threads and in case it is not obvious I think this is not a good idea.
Well, the concept of :42 has it's target audience, and in and of
itself is a good idea. But from my perspective we are vacating the
middle of the spectrum by not having the current release model
continue and I do not like it! However, I stated my case, the decision
has been made and I cannot and do not expect that anyone else will do
my bidding. It is now time to put up or shut up. If a yearly Factory
snapshot based release is so important to me, and others, I/we can
learn what it takes to build a release in OBS and do the work, or I
can decide to get over it and use :42, or I can choose to use
something else entirely. No one is being forced to do anything they
don't want to just because the release manager decided that he would
rather spend his time building something new.
What if there was a team of people from the community wanting to continue the previous release model? We would have openSUSE 42.1 and openSUSE 13.3?
My point is: who gives the power to one group of people to use the openSUSE name for their new distribution without a vote from the members or at least a board decision through an open process?
It could be named openSLES or something...

Best,
Angelos

--
Angelos Tzotsos