Re: [opensuse-project] After the Richard talk... what's new for openSUSE
On 05/04/2015 11:52 PM, Luiz Fernando Ranghetti wrote:
From the view of one of the openSUSE forum moderators (and the other
moderators may have a different view, as this is my private view wrt giving
support) I am not particularly keen on seeing a kernel that is too old with
openSUSE. Again , this comes from a forum support viewpoint.
Would applying a Tumbleweed kernel be the only way to address such an older
kernel concern ?

No, probably just add the Kernel:Stable to that install, just like nowadays.

OK. Good to know of the alternative.

That raises some support implementation questions in my mind.

From a support perspective, I assume that any user who needed to do such (because the openSUSE/SLE common kernel did not support their newer hardware) would then be compelled to custom build their graphic driver (if using a higher performance proprietary driver) and their virtual box (if using the proprietary virtual box) . I doubt there would be rpms of proprietary drivers packaged for Kernel:Stable. Fortunate opensource drivers are better today than in the past (case in point - wireless) but I suspect installing one's proprietary graphic driver "the hardway" or rebuilding proprietary virtual box (with "/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup" or possibly building the binary) could be a challenge to some new openSUSE users ... Which makes me think if a common kernel approach is adopted, we may want a new wiki / guide for such users (ie how to maintain one's "Kernel:Stable" ) ... and possibly the "Kernel:Stable" may need testing further than what it gets now ? < unsure > .

Would "Kernel:Stable" nominally get the same security fixes that the regular openSUSE/SLE kernel gets ? Would it get the same bugzilla support if a bug encountered ?

Lee