Re: [opensuse-project] Single point of failure : nvidia
Mandag den 25. november 2013 14:19:57 skrev C:
On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 1:32 PM, Bruno Friedman wrote:
I've seen an announce that the repo will be in place ~27 November, but
this will not answer my questions.
The problem isn't the repo hosting location is it? Moving it to
Packman or somewhere else isn't going to solve the issue with the
proprietary driver lagging so far behind the release. As you pointed
out, we have a single point of failure... a single person who has
taken responsibility for maintaining the driver. When that one person
is busy.. away... no prebuilt driver.

I like the idea of community maintained - maybe we can keep the driver
more up to date? More current? What would this entail though?

There's no monopoly on building the packages. The source rpms are even
available, anyone with the skills and desire can build them.

The problem actually _is_ the hosting/distribution. Noone - including packman
- is too interested in distributing pre-built nvidia rpms and thus flirting
with gpl violation.

But only very few people have contacts at Nvidia and can get the packages
uploaded there.

The versionitis is a completely separate issue. Productive users wouldn't want
to risk such a driver update constantly.