Re: [opensuse-project] Single point of failure : nvidia
  • From: C <smaug42@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 10:42:04 +0100
On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 10:30 AM, Richard Brown wrote:
On Sun, 2013-11-24 at 17:39 +0100, Carlos E. R. wrote:
There are people that are waiting till it is available, without
installing 13.1 till it is. Others are asking, and we can only tell
them to wait, or try the hard way (which not all want).

The question I have for them is..'why'? I've not used the proprietary
nvidia drivers since openSUSE 12.1 and I don't miss them one bit

It's not like I'm an undemanding user either - I'm running multiple
monitors, with a significant amount of 3D acceleration in the form of
GNOME 3 and various games on Steam

Yes, I remember the dark days when nouveux was as useless as an
inflatable dartboard on a submarine with a sunroof, but things have
moved on - Are some of our users stuck in the past, or what specifics
are the open source drivers missing that's causing this to be such a
major concern for some of our users?

One simple answer... gaming. You cannot play Steam games (most) with
the Nouveau driver.

Another.. at least up until recently, configuration. It's been
historically difficult to configure multiple monitors with Nouveau.

Another... performance. Playing full screen video (historically) has
been awful with Nouveau.

openSUSE 12.3 x86_64, KDE 4.10