[opensuse-project] Single point of failure : nvidia
With the increasing number of new users, trying out openSUSE 13.1 there's also
an increasing complaint rate about the non availability of Nvidia drivers.

Why we should care about them, after all they are not free drivers.
But as we in the past & recent present offer them by being prepared internally
at SUSE then pushed to nvidia people in charge of publishing them.

The work done by Stefan Dirsch has always been a great addition to end users
that were not able to use nouveau for their daily task.
I don't want to talk about philosophy in this tread, I'm only interested by the
action, we (community side), openSUSE Team (as favorite SUSE internal point of
contact), SUSE, can provide to finally better serve our end users.

For 13.1, it look like the package on obs were ready to build since 1st
November, so then why we don't have it? Stefan's holidays?
Unfortunately this "accident" has already happened in the past, so I feel it's
time create some process to be make it impossible to happen.

I perfectly know that nothing is easy as it look (license, responsibility etc).
So my vision is perhaps naive.

1st idea :
Is it possible to have a Stefan's backup internally, who will be able to build
the package, and have the keys to forward them to nvidia?

2nd idea :
Should the community be in charge of it? We have get some success with the AMD
equivalent situation even if everything is not failure proof as I would like.
Keep experts of it preparing the package as it is now. Would the repository
owner accept sr if some comes like (update, improvements etc)?

2a variant : building this package on packman -> then publish there
2b variant : build it locally (it works) and then publish them somewhere

3rd idea : yours ?

Thanks to stay on topic, we just all want a solution.

--

Bruno Friedmann
Ioda-Net Sàrl www.ioda-net.ch

openSUSE Member