Re: [opensuse-project] future features
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2011 22:00:36 +0200
Klaas Freitag wrote:

Often we hear that argument "what can be a good feature for a
distribution? People want just something stable to work with, thats
all." That thinking is poison, even though its of course true that
people want that.

Actually, what people really want is uninterruptive innovation. People
DO want changes and new features, but they want them without them
causing great upheaval to the way they currently work. If great
upheaval IS necessary, people want to know, so they can (pretend to) be
in control.

But what is "working with a distribution"? From a users perspective
its doing all-day stuff like mail, writing, coding, blogging etc. The
distro is a tool for that if we look from that perspective. But tools
can be improved to help doing the job better, easier, quicker, in a
nicer environment. Or a more secure environment.

Improvements ("better, easier, quicker, nicer") happen in .N releases,
revolutions happen in new versions, but that's not how we work :-)

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (8.2°C)