Re: [opensuse-project] future features
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 12:23:50 -0400
On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 12:07 PM, Jos Poortvliet <jospoortvliet@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi all,

I've received a few requests already from ppl asking "what will the next
openSUSE release bring". Now I know a few things being worked on, from
Webpin2 to the bretzn/appstream stuff. And of course the obvious "latest
software packages". But I guess there are other ideas people would like
to work on, right?

I mentioned in the thread about BTRFS that EXT3/EXT4 patches exist to
add snapshot functionality. Unlike BTRFS, these snapshots are
filesystem wide. ie. You issue a snapshot request for the entire
filesystem. Then you can mount the snapshot readonly and browse
around to see the filesystem as it was.

Amir Goldstein is the main developer and who marketing should
interview if they want to understand what the patches do now and how
they could be integrated into opensuse in the future.

I reached out to the team (including Amir) and just this weekend
created a home project to work on packaging next4 for opensuse
factory, but I'm focused on ext4 patches only. That team is pushing
to get their code into vanilla in .40 or .41, so even without specific
effort it should show up in some sense for the next opensuse release.

But I think we need to get the functionality into factory ASAP so
other packages can start to build functionality around snapshots.

I hope the functionality will make it into ext4 for the next release
of opensuse.

Their homepage is: http://next3.sourceforge.net/

The code I'm packaging is at:
https://github.com/amir73il/ext4-snapshots

Note: I haven't even pulled the code yet. It depends on the 2.6.39
kernel. There is a linux-next (2.6.39) package in OBS, but it isn't
building at present. Just an hour ago I sent a email to the
maintainer to find out the status of that project.

Greg