[opensuse-project] Packman for Tumbleweed (was: Announcing openSUSE Tumbleweed project)
On 2010-11-30 22:31:15 (+0100), Guido Berhoerster <gber@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
* Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxx> [2010-11-30 21:53]:
On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 10:37:01PM +0200, İsmail Dönmez wrote:
On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 10:26 PM, Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxx> wrote:
[skipping legal mambo jambo, possibly disagreed part]

(but on a side note, Greg, please stop assuming we package illegal
stuff)

I don't think it will be very hard to get Packman (or any other repo)
that handles the codes up and working on Tumbleweed.

If we can get Packman to support this as a repository that would be
the most ideal solution. Nothing fancy, just need a handful of people
helping Packman project.

This is probably getting off-topic here, but is there a pointer to how
someone can help out the packman project to set up something like this?
I see their general "send us email" from the front page, is that all, or
do they need something else for something as small as this would entail?

Helping us out can be done in a few ways:
* maintaining packages: help is always welcome there, especially for
more experienced packagers,
* provide us with build servers: just requires running a single init
script to be an OBS build slave -- but we will only do so with people
we know, as being root on such a build host gives the ability to crack
packages and include trojan horses or other malware in them

Posting to packman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx should be appropriate.

Correct, anyone can get in touch with us on the mailing-list Guide cited
above (no registration needed), or on IRC (on Freenode, #packman).

The reason why Packman does not build against Factory is, as I
understand it, that continuous rebuilds would put too much load on
the build system and that would probably apply to your proposed
project as well.

Actually we *do* build against Factory (*snapshot*).
Indeed, continuous rebuilds would kill our infrastructure, as we don't
have that much build power (we do have a few servers though, thanks to
the support of a very few individuals, and thanks to a sponsor).

To be precise, we build a subset of our packages for Factory (and even
for SLE11SP1), typically those that you can't find anywhere except on
Packman (mad, xine, ffmpeg, ...).

http://ftp.uni-erlangen.de/pub/mirrors/packman/suse/factory/
http://ftp.uni-erlangen.de/pub/mirrors/packman/suse/sle_11_sp1/

We would indeed be highly interested in also building for Tumbleweed, at
the very least that "minimal" set of codec packages, and potentially
more than that.

I personally agree that packages that could also be on
build.opensuse.org should go there instead of being in the Packman
repository but, unfortunately, not everyone in the Packman team agrees.

On a side note, we use the openSUSE Build Service too, with our own
instance, but it is linked with build.opensuse.org, which means that as
soon as a dependency changes on build.o.o, a rebuild is triggered on our
instance.
This means that, exactly as with Factory, if Tumbleweed is built on
build.o.o, rebuilds on Packman would be automatic.

cheers
--
-o) Pascal Bleser <pascal.bleser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
/\\ http://opensuse.org -- I took the green pill