Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE Strategy Discussion: Mobile and cloud ready distribution
  • From: Andreas Jaeger <aj@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 15:05:01 +0200
On Tuesday 06 July 2010 12:04:29 Vincent Untz wrote:
Hi,

Le mardi 29 juin 2010, à 01:32 +0200, Pavol Rusnak a écrit :
openSUSE - Mobile and cloud ready distribution

If we remove the "private cloud" part of this proposal, then most of
this strategy would actually be integrating various bricks together. I
think we should do it, but it feels more like a specific feature that
will go with something bigger (like, say, "having openSUSE used as the
base OS for Meego" or something like this).

As for the private cloud stuff: that's a good thing, but I seriously
doubt we'd get enough manpower for this. A good approach could be to
team with other communities to work on this, though.

I think the ownCloud stuff that Frank Karlicheck (sp?) is doing is an
example of such a project that we could just integrate.

I was surprised how much is out there already - or beeing actively worked
on.

It's worth pointing out that such a strategy would really be a
disruptive change for our community (since what is listed as areas where
we need to be excellent are not really related to our current
distribution), and therefore has a high risk associated with it -- maybe
too high.

I think we'll need to have a good mobile integration story to stay
relevant in the future, but for this, I'd focus on teaming up with other
communities: this will make the result much stronger and more solid in
the long term, for everyone. So I'd keep this part of the strategy and
integrate it with our final strategy, if possible.

good idea,
Andreas
Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany