Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE Strategy Discussion: Community Statement
  • From: Andreas Jaeger <aj@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 21:28:33 +0200
On Friday 18 June 2010 16:58:37 Katarina Machalkova wrote:
So, baring the social atmosphere, what is left besides a lack of
interest or attraction of/to female users?

Let me give you few examples:

So, which of these should we add to our activity list in the statement?
Coud you propose some changes?

* lack of female role models within the community (female contributors
are invisible)

* lack of mentoring program (it's not easy to start contributing if you
don't have long history of working with computers, which is many
women's case , AND finding a mentor to help you get started is not
incredibly easy)

That's in it, isn't it.

* hostile environment (sexist comments, jokes & blogposts, and nobody
protesting them)

That's implied as part of the guiding principles but I expect you're right
that nobody protests.

Please find some more in this wonderful paper:
http://www.flosspols.org/deliverables/FLOSSPOLS-D16-
Gender_Integrated_Report_of_Findings.pdf

thanks,
Andreas
Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany