[opensuse-project] Re: Decision making transparency ...
  • From: Michael Meeks <michael.meeks@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 09:31:21 +0000
Hi Michael,

On Tue, 2009-08-25 at 14:50 +0200, Michael Loeffler wrote:
This is most interesting. When you say you "discussed the
feature request" with the openSUSE Board - what was their considered
recommendation ?

Frankly, the openSUSE Board was just a mirror of the community.
So again a pretty heated discussion. No clear recommendation.

I am glad that the board is a good mirror of the community. It rather
reinforces the general idea of them, in future, hammering out such
compromises - surely ? - then they can sell it to their respective
constituencies. Can you confirm that your discussion with the board was
genuinely neutral, rather than a plain presentation of your decision ?

Yes, the governance topic will be covered during the conference.

Great.

We want to make clear that both desktops are considered equal
citizens within the openSUSE Project

How about actually sketching out what this really means, if
indeed it means anything at all ...

Please don't read things into a radio button which aren't there.

Sure; so - is there any chance you could help expand on what you mean
by 'considered equal citizens' ? - I accept that it doesn't apply to
this radio button - where else does it not apply ?

As an example, can you give any assurances around my concerns
about conferences - presenting both desktops equally eg. ? other
trivial examples might be boxed set screenshots (if the boxed set
rides again), printed marketing materials etc. We have one prominent
area where they are not treated equally - I assume the plan is to
spread that aggressively to other areas

You really chose not to give any assurances here ? that is concerning.
Henne's on no-change to the conference DVDs was helpful - I look forward
to handing more out.

Finally - I think one of the -best- ways to bury the discussion here,
is to provide a satisfying, and clearly defined trigger point for
re-opening it [ that is preferably at some distance away, post 11.2 :-].
Seemingly so far, we have only a "my decision is final" position, with
(apparently) no hope of progress, ever. I assume it is not adequate to
leave Lubos' blog to speak on this - and that some change in future is
possible. I assume also, that it is obvious / 'logical' that in future
that the user's choice in our data will be obscured by this default. To
find an un-biased variable - can we agree that eg. when the live-CD
download numbers reach 50/50 you will support re-visiting this
decision ? and/or where is the raw data for that available ?

So - while still horribly dissatisfied by the process, decision, and
the lack of transparency - I guess at least having some clear and
meaningful re-assurances, and a reasonably distant, but understood and
agreed trigger point for re-opening the discussion would content me.

Thanks,

Michael,

--
michael.meeks@xxxxxxxxxx <><, Pseudo Engineer, itinerant idiot