Re: [opensuse-project] openFATE feature #307495: GNOME default
  • From: Jason Perlow <jperlow@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 09:42:15 -0400
What do we know about KDE 4.x's base memory and other resource
requirements compared to GNOME's?

Assuming we have two identical systems, both with 2GB of RAM and
identical dual core CPUs, which will perform better, KDE or GNOME? On
1GB of RAM with a single core?

Maybe you might want the installer to do that, and have it say why.
I've always felt that KDE 4 was much more resource intensive than a
default GNOME as it is implemented in distros like Ubuntu or even in
SLE/Opensuse. My own systems have a lot of memory and CPU horsepower
but not every end user will have a very powerful machine. Also laptops
will behave differently than desktops because of traditionally
underpowered CPUs and disk I/O.