  • From: Andreas Jaeger <aj@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 10:58:30 +0200
On Saturday 08 August 2009 23:16:27 Sven Burmeister wrote:
Am Samstag, 8. August 2009 22:54:05 schrieb Gerald Pfeifer:
On Tue, 4 Aug 2009, Druid wrote:
Decisions for enterprise affects Opensuse, as Opensuse is the base for
the enterprise releases. For example, if JFS is not available in the
enterprise releases, chances are it wont be available in Opensuse
either.

Well, that is the perfect counter example. ;-) JFS will never ever
enter SUSE Linux Enterprise (again), yet it is available on openSUSE.
Or take ext4, where we made the conscious decision not to push this
with SUSE Linux Enterprise Server, yet it is the default on openSUSE
right now.

Does openSUSE not always precede SLE since the latter is based on a release
of the former? If I remember correctly I have read emails about package x
or feature y being being pushed into openSUSE release z because that one
was the one that was going to be used for SLE.

openSUSE is one thing, SUSE Linux Enterprise is another. The two are
certainly related, but the way decisions are being made for the two
should be quite different, and is.

Yes, but no. :) The decision process, in regard to which people or
committees are involved might differ, and yet even in that respect they are
related since some people work on both. However they should certainly not
differ in terms of the decision process being one of discussing objective
arguments. So if the question is the same, the same arguments should be
considered.

They are related and I talk with the SLE guys when making decisions. The
differences that influence decision making include:
* different type of users and markets
* different release cycles
* different level of support

So, this leads to different answers. As Gerald said, look at ext4 (default
for openSUSE 11.2, not pushed for SUSE Linux Enterprise Server), JFS
(available in openSUSE but not at all in SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11).

Andreas
--
Andreas Jaeger, aj@{novell.com,opensuse.org}
Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany