  • From: Sven Burmeister <sven.burmeister@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2009 23:16:27 +0200
Am Samstag, 8. August 2009 22:54:05 schrieb Gerald Pfeifer:
On Tue, 4 Aug 2009, Druid wrote:
Decisions for enterprise affects Opensuse, as Opensuse is the base for
the enterprise releases. For example, if JFS is not available in the
enterprise releases, chances are it wont be available in Opensuse
either.

Well, that is the perfect counter example. ;-) JFS will never ever
enter SUSE Linux Enterprise (again), yet it is available on openSUSE.
Or take ext4, where we made the conscious decision not to push this
with SUSE Linux Enterprise Server, yet it is the default on openSUSE
right now.

Does openSUSE not always precede SLE since the latter is based on a release of
the former? If I remember correctly I have read emails about package x or
feature y being being pushed into openSUSE release z because that one was the
one that was going to be used for SLE.

openSUSE is one thing, SUSE Linux Enterprise is another. The two are
certainly related, but the way decisions are being made for the two
should be quite different, and is.

Yes, but no. :) The decision process, in regard to which people or committees
are involved might differ, and yet even in that respect they are related since
some people work on both. However they should certainly not differ in terms of
the decision process being one of discussing objective arguments. So if the
question is the same, the same arguments should be considered.

IMHO is is not true that most people, be it inside the openSUSE community or
outside, make a clear distinction between what is decided for SLE or openSUSE.
Novell is the one behind both, a bit less for openSUSE, but nevertheless it
"owns" the positions that decide in the end. It would be stupid if Novell's
upper management would not place people that support their vision and opinion
on the important positions of its business and SLE as well as openSUSE are
Novell's business. It's absolutely normal that whoever is in charge of most
resources has the biggest influence.

Sven