Re: [opensuse-project] User Survey
  • From: Michael Loeffler <michl@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 13:08:58 +0200
On Friday 07 August 2009 07:26:01 member greenarrow1 wrote:
On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 7:08 AM, Michael Loeffler<michl@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Moin,

On Tuesday 04 August 2009 15:33:59 Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier wrote:
On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 3:01 AM,

Administrator<admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'd suggest a 3 month follow up to all new installs (if we have the

contact details).  It would need to be very short, so we get responses

even from the relatively uninterested.

some general feedback on the survey and the discussion:

- I'd suggest to do a survey with the openSUSE 11.2 release or very close
by to have current results for the development of openSUSE 11.3

- for which software do you use? we should implement feature #305877 and
would get always more current results

- maybe our surveys are not the best or just reach to openSUSE core
people but they are much better then not digging for information. And
with having several thousand people answering I'm pretty sure we reach
more then the inner circle.

Yes, but it would be beneficial to all if we can see why people are
uninstalling or leaving openSUSE and we do not get this from the core
people. It could be very minor problems with easy fixes and by
learning why maybe we could keep those from leaving or uninstalling
the operating system. Continuous surveys from core people and we may
not be seeing what the new user does. Most core users simply fix or
try something else where the new user just goes well it doesnt work,
GoodBye and we never know why. You can read a book a dozen times and
learn something new each time but if you do not read it the second
time you will never know what you missed.
Yes, that would be interesting. Btw maybe our core people should sometimes
wear the glasses of a newbie and not just change a config file or so to make
things work. In that way all the tiny edges openSUSE has will stay and hinder
people new to openSUSE.

- we should change just a few questions to keep comparability with older
surveys

And, in reality who likes a survey that is always the same without new
questions? If some areas show satisfaction than why not change the
subject to another area?
I don't say, we don't change. I say, we should keep the core of the survey to
keep it comparable to older ones. For larger new arising topics/questions we
can just do another survey.

- the survey shouldn't be any longer than the previous ones

Why not if there is new development?
Pretty simple, the longer the survey takes the fewer people will fill it out.
The current one has already more then 20 questions.

Best

Best

We don't have the contact details, and I don't think most users would

want to provide them.

Lots of software have a contact area for the user to provide his email
address so why would this not work with openSUSE with a option to
provide or not provide?

Best,

Zonker

--

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier <jzb@xxxxxxxxxx>

openSUSE Community Manager: http://zonker.opensuse.org

Blogs: http://blogs.zdnet.com/community |
http://www.dissociatedpress.net

Twitter: jzb | Identica: jzb

http://identi.ca/group/opensuse/members

--

Michael Löffler, Product Management

SUSE LINUX Products GmbH - Nürnberg - AG Nürnberg - HRB 16746 - GF:
Markus Rex

PeterPac
InNetInvestigations-Forensic
SLED/openSUSE