  • From: Druid <marcio.ferreira@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 10:30:04 -0300
On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 10:19 AM, Kevin "Yeaux"
Dupuy<kevin.dupuy@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Sent from Kevin Yeaux's mobile device.

On Aug 4, 2009, at 5:58 AM, Druid <marcio.ferreira@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

In a moment of Opensuse history where Gnome was abandoned in Opensuse
we were practically forced to have gnome, and the Gnome developers
wouldnt even fix the bugs in Opensuse (and this would cause problems
even for non Gnome users using GTK apps).

I've only been involved with the community since 2007, but I've been a SUSE
user since 2003, and we have NEVER been forced to use GNOME, ever. In fact,
it wasn't even an option until 10.0 or 10.1 (without digging around in the
Software Selection options)

And to complete that, Novell
announced the drop of KDE from enterprise products and "change of
focus" to gnome.

OK, but that's the enterprise software. That's completely different from
what we do here.

Decisions for enterprise affects Opensuse, as Opensuse is the base for
the enterprise releases. For example, if JFS is not available in the
enterprise releases, chances are it wont be available in Opensuse
either.

We had gnome forced (in the distribution, not forced to use, stop
twisting what I've said, once again), yes, because even the gnome
people in Novell didnt want to fix bugs.

It affects all the users the way I explained: some software or
libraries maintained in gnome side would be buggy and affect people
using the gtk software even if they arent gnome users.

Márcio