  • From: Matt Gray <mjg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2009 15:11:37 +0100
Kevin "Yeaux" Dupuy wrote:
Sent from Kevin Yeaux's mobile device.

On Aug 4, 2009, at 3:20 AM, Martin Schlander
<martin.schlander@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
And the magnitude of the decision is supposed to be an argument
_against_
having a preselected default?

Again, noone's removing any choice, noone's suggesting to hide anything,
selecting GNOME wouldn't require any more work than it does now.

Yes. If openSUSE intends to support two desktops equally, then how do
you manage that reccommending one over the other to a new user is
'supporting two desktops equally'. Instead of treating GNOME as an
equal, integral part of openSUSE, you'd be saying "oh yeah, GNOME's
this thing some folks work on, but you'll want KDE (trust me).

And let me add, you do not just select the software to install - you
also
select what level of community support you're going to have available
to you -
in terms of online help, packages, howtos etc.

Good point - though that really goes to point out that both the KDE
and GNOME teams are equally helpful and put out good documentation in
addition to the openSUSE docs. Infact, the GNOME Team has done a lot
for the openSUSE Project, do you really want to lose their support by
demoting their product down to second class?

Overall, there's another decision to be made here. Do we want to
select and support one desktop, and dump the other down to being a
second-class citizen, or support both and publish a much better tour
of each desktop to help users decide?
--
Kevin "Yeaux" Dupuy
openSUSE Project Member

it has the same quality of branding, and the same free ship-it, but
everyone knows that ubuntu is far less buggy because that is where
cannonical blows the development budget.

that is not what is being proposed for suse.