  • From: Druid <marcio.ferreira@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 07:58:39 -0300
On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 6:36 AM, Vincent Untz <vuntz@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Le mardi 04 août 2009, à 10:20 +0200, Martin Schlander a écrit :
And let me add, you do not just select the software to install - you also
select what level of community support you're going to have available to
you -
in terms of online help, packages, howtos etc.

I'm sorry, I tried really hard not to reply, but I'm tired of seeing
statements like this one. Here, you're implying that GNOME is not well
supported (or at least, not as well as KDE from a few orders of
magnitude), and really, you're hurting feelings here. Hopefully, this
was not your intention and you'll be more careful in the future.

In a moment of Opensuse history where Gnome was abandoned in Opensuse
we were practically forced to have gnome, and the Gnome developers
wouldnt even fix the bugs in Opensuse (and this would cause problems
even for non Gnome users using GTK apps). And to complete that, Novell
announced the drop of KDE from enterprise products and "change of
focus" to gnome. Sum that up to the fact that SUSE has been always a
KDE distro (no matter how much the Novel "we are neutral propaganda"
bullshit says, because of the ex-Ximian gnome fanboys in Novell), and
you will see why KDE today is second class today.

Opensuse needs a default select, its absolutely clear that, and the
default has to be KDE, and there is absolutely no sense to be any
other.

As usual, the Gnome people are trying to twist the facts so they look
like the abused minority...

This is just an example of what the GNOME community lives with in
openSUSE, so we do have a thick skin. But it's still harming the
community when you say this; and I'm sure we lost people because of
this.

I am sure we lose users when we dont have a default, and we did when
Novell annouced to drop KDE (even if we numerous KDE developers on
board), Im sure we lost even Gnome users when you guys let memory
leaks in Opensuse releases for so long.

This is what your artificially created when Novell bosses pushed the
"gnome and kde are equal" just because they are gnome people, and for
no other rational reason. In everywhere it should be reasonable that
the default is what the majority uses, but you guys think you are oh
so special, that you cannot accept something that is an historic fact.

KDE is living as second class, not Gnome, because of you guys. And the
largest Opensuse userbase cannot be the second class desktop.

Also, you guys should stop the FUD of "oh we dont need default" (you
know it needs and you would accept in a heartbeat if it was gnome),
"opensuse will drop gnome", "you want us to live as the 2nd more
important desktop in Opensuse" (you are, accept it), and the other
drama lines we have been reading in this list. And the must funny:
"kde is not the largest Opensuse user base, maybe" (proving that you
guys learned a lot about FUD eh)

Now what, I wonder maybe the XFCE users will start coming here
complaining that they are so hurt because XFCE wasnt even considered
to be the default desktop, and that they are very afraid that Opensuse
next step is to drop it, and that there is a huge conspiracy against
them.

I dont even know why I waste my time answering the vocal minority
trying to make the rational guys looking bad because of fanatism.

Márcio