RE: [opensuse-project] openFATE feature #306967 , my KDE summary
I would support either selecting a default or presenting enough information
for the naïve user (read Windows user) to make a selection quickly.

A list of desktop names and/or screenshots is not enough information. Given
the heat in this debate I don’t think it likely any agreement could be
reached quickly on a short piece of text for each desktop which highlights
the benefits & disadvantages.

So that leaves a default as the only useful option. Anything which makes
clear what has been selected, and text that says there's a default selected,
and why it's been selected, works for me.

David