Re: [opensuse-project] Who are the "members of openSUSE community"?
  • From: Pascal Bleser <pascal.bleser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 08:11:38 +0200

Satoru Matsumoto wrote:
Just now, we have two definitions for the 'members of openSUSE community'.
[...]
I totally agree with him. We need a more suitable name for the "members"
in the latter meaning.

That's my opinion as well, and it has been discussed a few times already.

The problem is really that we don't manage to come up with a better name.
* Contributor: equally misleading
* Supporter: too weak of a term, and also misleading IMHO
* Fellow: misleading, as it is used for a different role (contributing
$$) by the FSF
* Ambassador: misleading, as it is used for a different role by Fedora
* Long-Time Contributors: that's what it is, really, but it would suck
for a title, and it's way too long :)

The only thing we managed to come up with that wasn't conflicting or
misleading was
- - "Envoy".. but... a few of us thought it was a bit.. weird for non
native English speakers... dunno
- - "MIG" -- Men In Green: really cool, and funny, but doesn't work for
_femaly_ long-time contributors :)

- Basically, everyone, who wants to be a member of openSUSE community,
is a member

Yes, of course. A "member" is anyone who uses, contributes, takes part
into the community.
A "Member" is someone who has been doing sustained contributions to the
community since some time.

- Rename "members" in the latter meaning to a more suitable name such as
fellows, supporters, etc.

Right. But... "patches are welcome", still looking for an adequate term
here. That's really where we're stuck.

- For it is in the period of the Board Election just now, we'd better
wait until the election ends in order to avoid the confusion posed by
the change of the name for the "members".

Oh yes, absolutely. Let's discuss that after the elections.

cheers
- --
-o) Pascal Bleser <pascal.bleser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
/\\ http://opensuse.org -- I took the green pill