Re: [opensuse-packaging] Re: Python packages naming rules

On 24.8.2017 09:23, Sebastian wrote:
All Python module packages, whether pure Python or C-based, should be
called python-modulename. modulename must be the name of the package in
the package's setup.py, which is equal to the filename of the source

I would remove the "equal to tarball filename" part. There is no guarantee
about that.

tarball. If this differs from the name on the Python Package Index, the
official third-party software repository for the Python programming
language, the packgage should provide this name too.

better: "package should also provide 'python-<pypi name>'

Maybe also something about packages without setup.py? "When a package doesn't
exist on PyPI and no
setup.py is present, the <modulename> is left to the packager discretion.
Upstream preferred name,
tarball name or site-packages directory name are reasonable choices."

And does the Packaging guidelines change process apply here?
https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Packaging_guidelines_change_process IMO
it does.

We are discussing the change right now, so that can be checked off :) Other
than that, let's see.
This is a clarification of ambiguity, and for 99 % of packages it does not
represent a change.

We *could* test this in rpmlint though. That would catch messed up packages
that now definitely
exist. We could get a pypi-checker that would also verify Requires against
setup.py and requirements.txt
(i hereby propose a rpmlint check, that's another point done ;) )
Seriously though, this would be nice, but requires some amount of work for
which I definitely don't
have the capacity right now. Putting it on the long-term TODO, contributions
welcome.

Even as a clarification, it's worth announcing, so we might want to let the
Package Guidelines Team
know.

I don't think we need to bother with a RFC and a 14-day wait for this; in any
case, we can start
using the guideline even before "formally accepting", because, again, it's
resolving an ambiguity.
But of course feel free to send a RFC if you think it should be done.

regards
m.

Sebastian