Re: [opensuse-packaging] Automatic submission of changes to Factory
Le lundi 30 janvier 2012, à 12:05 +0100, Juergen Weigert a écrit :
On Jan 30, 12 10:37:26 +0100, Vincent Untz wrote:
For a while, we've had the issue of packages with changes in devel
projects not always being submitted to Factory. At the last openSUSE
Conference, it appeared that not everyone was aware that this had to be
manually done, and one solution that was discussed involved automatic
submission.

After some push from coolo, I finished a script I started working on a
while ago, and we now have obs-autosubmit:
https://gitorious.org/opensuse/obs-autosubmit

To put it simply, it submits unsubmitted changes to Factory. It tries
hard to be clever, [...]
Things that are clever usually fail horribly sometimes.

Sure. Except that it doesn't do anything that can't be reverted, so
failing horribly 1% of the time is acceptable, at least to me.

(Ok, I can imagine the case where some change in a package has a bug
leading to a your disk getting formatted -- that is bad, but that'd be
bad for people using the devel project too...)

For years we have learned that not everything qualifies for Factory.
Some of the packages I felt important were rejected with something like
'They make Factory too big'.
This does not mix well with the idea that devel maintainers should
be responsible for filling up Factory.

That's an issue orthogonal to autosubmit, isn't it?

On the other hand, there are devel projects, where stuff is horribly
broken, if you look at the wrong point of time. E.g. making a major update,
that affects many individual packages.

Yes, that's exactly why we have a blacklist and why I don't want
autosubmit for GNOME:Factory. However, I'd argue that only a subset of
devel projects work this way. I'm not saying this is good or bad; it's
just the way things are and have been for a while.

I am in favour of an automated script searching for submission candidates.
But rather than directly submitting, tell the devel maintainers, that
Factory wants one of their Packages, and provide a copy-paste submit
request template.
That could be a submit request to Factory where the devel maintainers group
is added as Reviewers,

We can do that too, and we actually discussed this. The issue is that it
relies on people receiving and reading their hermes mail.

We could experiment autosubmit by forcing all requests to be in review
first? Coolo, what do you think?

Cheers,

Vincent

--