Re: [opensuse-packaging] Automatic submission of changes to Factory
On Jan 30, 12 10:37:26 +0100, Vincent Untz wrote:
For a while, we've had the issue of packages with changes in devel
projects not always being submitted to Factory. At the last openSUSE
Conference, it appeared that not everyone was aware that this had to be
manually done, and one solution that was discussed involved automatic
submission.

After some push from coolo, I finished a script I started working on a
while ago, and we now have obs-autosubmit:
https://gitorious.org/opensuse/obs-autosubmit

To put it simply, it submits unsubmitted changes to Factory. It tries
hard to be clever, [...]
Things that are clever usually fail horribly sometimes.

For years we have learned that not everything qualifies for Factory.
Some of the packages I felt important were rejected with something like
'They make Factory too big'.
This does not mix well with the idea that devel maintainers should
be responsible for filling up Factory.

On the other hand, there are devel projects, where stuff is horribly
broken, if you look at the wrong point of time. E.g. making a major update,
that affects many individual packages.

I am in favour of an automated script searching for submission candidates.
But rather than directly submitting, tell the devel maintainers, that
Factory wants one of their Packages, and provide a copy-paste submit
request template.
That could be a submit request to Factory where the devel maintainers group
is added as Reviewers,

cheers,
JW-

\ | 0911 74053-508 say #263A!__/ (____/ /\
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, GF: Jeff Hawn, J.Guild, F.Imendoerffer, HRB 16746
(AG Nuernberg), Maxfeldstrasse 5, 90409 Nuernberg, Germany

SuSE. Supporting Linux since 1992. ☺