Re: [opensuse-packaging] Automatic submission of changes to Factory
On Mon, 30 Jan 2012, Vincent Untz wrote:

Hi all,

For a while, we've had the issue of packages with changes in devel
projects not always being submitted to Factory. At the last openSUSE
Conference, it appeared that not everyone was aware that this had to be
manually done, and one solution that was discussed involved automatic
submission.

After some push from coolo, I finished a script I started working on a
while ago, and we now have obs-autosubmit:
https://gitorious.org/opensuse/obs-autosubmit

To put it simply, it submits unsubmitted changes to Factory. It tries
hard to be clever, for instance:

Err, I think this idea is completely broken. These are
"development" projects after all. Now, do we want to split
devel projects into a "staging" project (state to be submitted to
factory (after some while?)) and a real "devel" project (where
development happens?).

- it only submits changes if the .changes entry is different
- it doesn't submit a change that is already submitted
- it doesn't submit a change that was declined/superseded

Coupled with the factory-auto checks, this means that changed packages
that don't build won't get through. (This has one issue, though: if a
package failed to build because of another package being broken and got
automatically submitted, it won't be automatically submitted again when
the other package gets fixed)

However, automatic submission is something that some people might not
want. For instance, in GNOME:Factory, that'd be insane as we generally
need to push several packages together and we do this after testing G:F.
Therefore, there's a way to disable this automatic submission for either
a whole project, or specific packages. Right now, this way is a
hardcoded list, but we'll likely use attributes in the future.

If you want to *not* have automatic submission for your project or your
package, please tell me!

Please never autosubmit packages maintained by me (devel:gcc,
devel:libraries:c_c++/{cloog,gmp,mpc,mpfr,ppl}).

Thanks.
Richard.

--
Richard Guenther <rguenther@xxxxxxx>