Re: [opensuse-packaging] RFC: Cleanup of packages - checking doc files
Hi,

Le jeudi 19 janvier 2012, à 11:50 +0100, Andreas Jaeger a écrit :
I just filed feature #313152 - to have a smaller base system which is
beneficial for appliances.

Looking at a basic installation (default text server install), I noticed
that we have in /usr/share/doc/packages besides the license (which we need
to keep) also other files.

An example is glib2, it installs to /usr/share/doc/packages/libglib-2_0-0:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1344 Aug 16 02:51 AUTHORS
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1895792 Oct 14 15:51 ChangeLog
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 25292 Aug 16 02:51 COPYING
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 197710 Oct 14 15:30 NEWS
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 9906 Oct 14 15:51 README

I suggest to move everything to the devel package (or a doc package if it
exists).

On IRC, Vincent and Sascha suggested to keep README, NEWS (and maybe
AUTHORS) in the base package and move only ChangeLog to the devel package.
Another idea was to compress these files.

My personal opinion is that the vast majority of our users does not need
any of these. Those developers that need it, will get it from the devel/doc
packages.

What do you think? Any other ideas on getting a smaller base system?

Just some data, based on my computer (hardly a base system):

$ du -s /usr/share/doc/packages/
285M /usr/share/doc/packages/
$ for file in AUTHORS ChangeLog COPYING README; do echo -n "$file: "; du -c
/usr/share/doc/packages/*/${file}* | tail -n 1; done
AUTHORS: 1,6M total
ChangeLog: 89M total
COPYING: 14M total
README: 6,8M total
$ du -c /usr/share/doc/packages/*/{AUTHORS,ChangeLog,COPYING,README}* | tail -n
1
111M total

I'm sure we could get some more interesting bits by gettings some
figures for PDF files, HTML files, etc.

Also, if I compress all ChangeLog files, they're now 22MB.

Coming back to the original goal: how big is the base system at the
moment? And can we have similar stats for doc files on such a base
system? I'm asking since I think we should aim for some specific size
(and not "do some stuff to reduce the size").

Cheers,

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.