Re: [opensuse-kernel] Kernel module creation for >=11.1
  • From: Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 19:59:49 -0800
On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 02:45:52AM +0100, Ruediger Oertel wrote:
On Thursday 13 November 2008 00:46:06 Greg KH wrote:
[edited]

https://build.opensuse.org/package/show?package=asus_acpi&project=home%3Aappleonkel%3AEEE

much with the original module except for the name and basic
infrastructure.
1459 asus_acpi.c (from kernel)
1907 asus_acpi.c (hacked up for eeecp)
diff: 675 lines ...

So maybe it actually works properly? :)

Context is needed as to what is missing in the in-kernel driver to
require an external one.
the patched driver removes the support for the device the original driver was
written for and adds the support for the eeepc, for example:

+#define EEEPC_HOTK_HID "ASUS010"
[...]
+static const struct acpi_device_id eee_device_ids[] = {
+ {EEEPC_HOTK_HID, 0},
+ {"", 0}
+};
[...]
-static const struct acpi_device_id asus_device_ids[] = {
- {"ATK0100", 0},
- {"", 0},
-};
[...]
static struct acpi_driver asus_hotk_driver = {
.name = "asus_acpi",
.class = ACPI_HOTK_CLASS,
- .ids = asus_device_ids,
+ .ids = eee_device_ids,
.ops = {

That's "foolish" at the least, we should just add the new device id to
the exising driver to have it work with both types of devices. That's
why it is a table of ids...

Can someone please file a bug and put this info in it so we can take
care of it?

thanks,

greg k-h