Re: [opensuse-gnome] I am confused......
On 16/06/11 21:05, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
On Thu, 2011-06-16 at 20:56 +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:
On 16/06/11 19:13, Will Bickerstaff wrote:
On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 8:41 AM, Basil Chupin<blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
So, this time 'round I installed Gnome from the openSUSE 11.4 DVD (NOT the
one from Gnome.org), did all the usual updates, then installed the Gnome3
repos as mentioned in this list, did the "zypper dup" song and dance
act......and when I rebooted I was told that I couldn't run gnome3 and that
the default gnome would be running instead. Nice, I thought, worked OK for a
week+ but now I am told I am in "deep poo-poos".
You did install gnome-shell as well didn't you?
"Gnome-shell" - wazzat? Part of the Crab Nebulae?
Why isn't something like this gnome-shell automatically installed as
part of the "upgrade" to gnome3?
Many Thanks, Will. What you asked about gnome-shell is something I knew
nothing about and after having installed it I now have Gnome3 working as
I did a week ago.
Did you do the complete procedure as described @
<http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:GNOME_3.0> ? I seriously doubt it,
given the *last step* described on the page:

zypper ar obs://GNOME:STABLE:3.0/openSUSE_11.4 GNOME_STABLE_3.0
zypper mr -p 98 -r GNOME_STABLE_3.0
zypper dup
zypper in gnome-shell metatheme-adwaita-common

I don't know if it should be installed by default since you can have
GNOME 3 without gnome-shell [it just isn't pretty].

Look at the big picture.

I am new user who has heard that openSUSE 11.4 has Gnome 3 - which I would love to try.

I also hear that gnome.org has a LIVE CD (which actually is not quite a CD but more or a DVD) which has openSUSE 11.4 configured with Gnome 3. I go to gnome.org and download the CD/DVD, and after seeing what Gnome3 looks like I install it (after spending heaps of time finding how I can do this - but that's another story...)

The thought then occurs to me that I might just switch over to openSUSE; I then download the 11.4 Release DVD to install gnome so that I can then upgrade it to Gnome 3 as some people have told me which I can easily could do by selecting the GNOME:/STABLE:/3.0/ and the GNOME:/APPS/ repositories and then by doing some fancy stuff on a command line as root with "zypper dup" stuff.

"All really quite simple to do, Fred."

And so this "Fred" goes and does all this. But doesn't end up with what he wanted to end up with. Disappointed, he says, "Shove this openSUSE up your Khyber Pass" and returns to his original distro with which he is familiar; openSUSE has now been relegated to the bottom of the cess-pit, not to be trusted again.

I am more than sure that I do not need to expand on this broad picture to get the message across.

You ask:

Did you do the complete procedure as described @
<http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:GNOME_3.0> ?

to which I respond by mentioning what I just wrote above.

Where is this procedure mentioned? The only reference to Gnome3 is what one
reads in the IT news sources which point to gnome.org where openSUSe 11.4 with
Gnome 3 is available for download as a LIVE CD(/DVD).

BC

--

The Annual General Meeting of Psychics has been cancelled due to unforseen
circumstances.