Re: [opensuse-gnome] Evaluating GNOME related features
  • From: "Sankar P" <psankar@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2010 00:10:55 -0700
I am an Ubuntu user and have been for some 8 months (after I switched
form openSUSE with KDE after many years [because of KDE if you are
interested]).

Welcome. Hope you have fun here in openSUSE :)

Below I provide some pics of what my Ubuntu desktop looks like normally
- *EXCEPT *that the top and bottom panels are *NOT* displayed as they
are auto-hidden; the desktop therefore is "clean", with no icons or
widgets or whatever of whatever description or manner or size. The
screen shot of this is:

http://picpaste.com/ubuntu-a-UKX6vktc.jpg

At the top left you will see entries for Applications, Places, and
System. I have opened each up and, in sequence, the screen shots for
them are:

http://picpaste.com/ubuntu-apps-a-ryrYmU2V.jpg

http://picpaste.com/ubuntu-places-a-uWkPsLvt.jpg

http://picpaste.com/ubuntu-system-a-NeZvCCQU.jpg

It is the traditional GNOME main menu which can still be added via "Add to
panel ". However,

The above is what an Ubuntu user basically sees when s/he installs
Ubuntu. They also see same (or close enough) when they install MINTLinux
which is based on Ubuntu.

Compare this to what oS Gnome now has.

I disagree that it is more intuitive than the "Computer " menu. Our customized
Computer menu is much more suited for most home users imho. Most of the times,
people want to use 4 to 5 applications only. Like, Browser, Music player,
Office software, etc. So, I believe our current Computer menu is good. It's
probably a matter of taste difference as well.

FWIW, I don't use any panels or menus at all, I hide my panel and move it to
the bottom right corner. I use gnome-do with the docky option and get
wallpapers from webilder. It is the most beautiful desktop as per my taste.
(attached image)

I agree that there are a few areas where we could be more aesthetic, like the
notification areas, the window title bars etc. Please convey your ideas for
improvement to badshah400 in #opensuse-gnome so that he could add these to the
list of pet-peeves which we want to fix.

Thanks for your feedback.

Sankar
http://psankar.blogspot.com

< Previous Next >