Re: [opensuse-gnome] Bug 436758 & 386359 - Renaming YaST in the menu and Control Center tasks
  • From: Vincent Untz <vuntz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 15:02:03 +0200
(this was discussed on opensuse-factory too, trying to consolidate the
discussion here since it's more appropriate)

Le samedi 29 août 2009, à 20:19 -0500, Kevin Yeaux Dupuy a écrit :
On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 9:26 AM, Vincent Untz<vuntz@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
This one is trivial to solve, as long as we come with a list of capplets
to add there. I had planned to do that a bit later in the cycle (since
it's doable when we're frozen for many many things), but help is
welcome. If you can come with a list of tasks, it's just a simple thing
to change in gconf2-branding-openSUSE, iirc.

How about:
*Add User (opens YaST User and Group Management)
*Change Look and Feel (opens Appearance)
*Add Printer (opens system-config-printer)
*Configure Network (or Connect to the Internet?), opens NetworkManager
settings window
*Change Account Picture (opens About Me)
*Open Administrator Settings (opens YaST)

Some of these came from the 10.2 Control Center
(http://en.opensuse.org/Image:GNOME_Control_center.jpg), BTW.

What do ya'll think? Anything that should be added/removed/changed?

Here's what I have so far:

Change Look and Feel: gnome-appearance-properties.desktop
Set Preferred Applications: default-applications.desktop
Configure Printer: system-config-printer.desktop
Configure Network: nm-connection-editor.desktop
Edit Personal Information: gnome-about-me.desktop
Add User: YaST2/users.desktop
Open Administrator Settings: YaST.desktop

I'm not really sure about "add user", to be honest: I don't think it
happens that often, and it's pretty clear that it'd be part of "Open
Administrator Settings".

Now, one major issue is that the strings will be in english :/
Scott, do you know how we're supposed to handle the translation of
common tasks in the cc shell? Are we really expecting to have translated
text from gconf? If yes, then it doesn't work out well with the way we
do gconf branding; we'd probably need to find another way...