[openFATE 310979] Set the default mouse behaviour of KDE 4.x to double click to open files / folde
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 08:39:10 +0100 (CET)
Feature changed by: Peter Gumbrell (gumb)
Feature #310979, revision 5
Title: Set the default mouse behaviour of KDE 4.x to double click to
open files / folde

Requested by: Adam N (a-d4m)

Set the default mouse behaviour of KDE 4.x to double click to open
files / folders.
Current default is single-click to open files / folders

Business case (Partner benefit):
openSUSE.org: Many new users migrating from other operating systems are
more comfortable with a double-click behaviour.
Gnome users are more comfortable with double-click.
Accidentally hitting the mouse button will not resort in any action.
In absence of statistics, I believe most users change the single-click
behaviour to double-click.
I prefer double-click

#1: Ricardo Gabriel Berlasso (rgbsuse) (2010-12-13 18:56:51)
"In absence of statistics" a believe is not enough. For my part I
prefer the default behavior (single click to select --green plus sign--
and single click to open) and simply cannot tolerate the old school
double click when need to use windows or gnome based systems. On kde 3.
x I used to use double click, but when started using kde4 it took me
less than a minute to get used to the new system.

+ #2: Peter Gumbrell (gumb) (2010-12-14 08:37:41)
+ Repetitive double-clicking was one of the primary causes of RSI
+ symptoms I developed years ago. I see KDE4's single-click
+ implementation as well thought out and more of an accessibility boost
+ (though I don't know technically the possible drawbacks for some
+ users). There are still some points on my system (GNOME progs mainly)
+ where I have to double-click and it feels so alien and a step back to
+ the dark ages. I'd rather have a default that looks to a more
+ sophisticated future than one which caters for users familiar with an
+ inferior concept.

List Navigation