[openFate 305249] Remove agfa-fonts from openSUSE 11.1
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 12:07:06 +0200 (CEST)
Feature changed by: Mike Fabian <mfabian@xxxxxxxxxx>
Feature #305249, revision 5
Title: Remove agfa-fonts from openSUSE 11.1

openSUSE-11.1: Evaluation

SLED-12: New

SLES-12: New

Requested by: Michael Loeffler <michl@xxxxxxxxxx>

As Liberation fonts looking really good meanwhile I propose to replace
the proprietary agfa-fonts with the open source fonts for openSUSE 11.1
and future versions.

#1: Ciaran Farrell <cfarrell@xxxxxxxxxx> (2008-08-19 09:07:09)
Sent a heads-up to Denzil Harris, wrt the Agfa contract. Everything ok
from his side.

#2: Andreas Jaeger <aj@xxxxxxxxxx> (2008-08-19 09:30:54)
Just one clarification: agfa fonts should stay on SLED11, we're only
discussing openSUSE 11.1. Correct?

+ #3: Mike Fabian <mfabian@xxxxxxxxxx> (2008-08-19 12:05:18) (reply to
+ #2)
+ > As Liberation fonts looking really good meanwhile
+ Here I disagree, they are OK but really cannot compare neither to the
+ Agfa fonts nor to the Microsoft Webfonts. The Liberation fonts render
+ much worse because they don’t have good byte code.
+ (They also render much worse than the DejaVu fonts which are far better
+ in my opinion than the Liberation fonts. But the DejaVu fonts don’t
+ aim to be metric compatible to Arial, Times New Roman, and Courier
+ New).
+ > I propose to replace the proprietary agfa-fonts with the open source
+ > fonts for openSUSE 11.1 and future versions.
+ I just want to add some information. The Liberation fonts contain only
+ 3 styles and the Agfa fonts have some more. The closes matches between
+ the Liberation, the Agfa, and the Microsoft web fonts are:
+ Liberation Agfa Microsoft
+ Liberation Sans Albany AMT Arial
+ Liberation Serif Thorndale AMT Times New Roman
+ Liberation Mono Cumberland AMT Courier New
+ Bell MT
+ Andy MT
+ Utah MT
+ Andale Sans Trebuchet MS
+ Impact
+ Arial Black Arial Black
+ Monotype Sorts Webdings
+ Andale Mono
+ Comic Sans MS
+ Georgia
+ Tahoma
+ Not that although “Liberation Mono” claims to be metric compatible to
+ “Cumberland AMT” and “Courier New”, it looks visually very different.
+ “Liberation Mono” is a sans serif font (like “Andale Mono”) but
+ “Cumberland AMT” and “Courier New” are both typewriter like serif
+ fonts. I.e. “Liberation Mono” may be able to replace “Cumberland AMT”
+ and “Courier New” without changing the formatting of a document
+ (although even that won’t always work) but certainly the document
+ would look very different in style.
+ I agree thouth that probably nobody really needs the Agfa fonts, most
+ people seem to download the Microsoft webfonts anyway. So I don’t
+ think we do not need to keep the Agfa fonts.

https://features.opensuse.org/?rm=feature_show&id=305249

< Previous Next >
List Navigation
This Thread