Re: [opensuse-factory] Questionable mirrors
On 2017-09-13 15:03, Per Jessen wrote:
Bengt Gördén wrote:

Den 2017-09-13 kl. 13:52, skrev Per Jessen:
No. It does not work like that. RIPE-db is at best considered if
there is no other option. Trust me on this. Been doing IP registry
for 23 years now.
Okay, how about explaining how it does work then?

It is empirical findings. Especially the country field in inetnum (see
below). When it comes to Maxmind no one except Maxmind them self can
say how it really works. But it is not country code in inetnum in
ripe-db as a first criteria. Maybe the last one and sometimes even not
that. Maxmind said in some old correspondence with me that they do
traceroute and ping to triangulate the position of an IP address.

Unless the country information is stored elsewhere, eventually they
would still need to consult ripe-db? Anyway, we're going off-topic.

I believe Google has its own database. They use matching GPS data from
mobile phones to the IP android phones get. You have to explicitly opt
out to not give that info to google, the phones scan WiFi AP for that
purpose.

It doesn't always work. When I tether mu laptop I get a 10.* address,
with a common exit point that can be hundreds of km away - and then
google blocks immediately my account and tells me some one stole my
password. Happened last Monday to me.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.