Re: [opensuse-factory] Questionable mirrors
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2017 13:52:08 +0200
Bengt Gördén wrote:

Den 2017-09-13 kl. 09:40, skrev Per Jessen:
Bengt Gördén wrote:

Den 2017-09-13 kl. 08:46, skrev Per Jessen:
Arjen de Korte wrote:

It would be great if it was possible to override the geolocation
somehow. Mirrorbrain locates me in the US, so upgrades to my NL
system take a transatlantic roundtrip, while much faster mirrors
are available in DE.
The country code for your mailserver's IPv4-range quite clearly
says NL, and looking it up here (on our local geoip database), also
says NL.

However, looking your IPv6 address, it belongs to Hurricane
Electric, in the US.
This is exactly why GeoIP is just above useless. The company I work
for have about 1 million IP addresses (/12). Maxminds dabase is
incorrect for us in about 15-20% of the cases (depending how Maxmind
woke that morning). And that's just for country. For city it's
useless for real. If you try to get Maxmind to change it's database
your up for a roll-a-coaster ride.
Actually, to get correct country mapping, the owner of an IP range
just needs to create the appropriate objects in the RIPE database.
(or whoever is allocating the ranges).

No. It does not work like that. RIPE-db is at best considered if there
is no other option. Trust me on this. Been doing IP registry for 23
years now.

Okay, how about explaining how it does work then?

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (16.3°C)