Re: [opensuse-factory] What pattern(s) install functional Xorg?
Andrei Borzenkov composed on 2017-02-28 22:07 (UTC+0300):

In reminiscence of recent discussion about desktop selection and "but it
is easy to add whatever you like using pattern" ...

I installed TW using "Text server" option (which resulted in whooping
2.5GB; I remember minimal server was around 600MB in not so distant
past, but well, that's different topic).

Now I want to add XFCE. I did "zypper in -t pattern --no-recommends
xfce". According to "zypper se -t pattern" both XFCE and x11 patterns
are installed. But runing "init 5" does nothing. Nor do I even have Xorg
available.

Looking at pattern names the only pattern mentioning X11 is the one I
already have.

Is the x11_opt pattern also installed? Maybe the option suggested by its name isn't a mere suggestion?

What gives? How users are supposed to transition from text to GUI after
installation?

"Supposed to" I don't know the answer to.

If you have xdm, libX11, libX11-data, xauth, xorg-x11-server, xorg-x11-essentials and x11-tools installed but not icewm, installing icewm might serve as a workaround without overtaxing your freespace.

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/