Re: [opensuse-factory] How Leap and SLE's timetable overlap
On 25 May 2016 at 13:58, Carlos E. R. <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 2016-05-25 07:23, Michal Kubecek wrote:
On středa 25. května 2016 3:23 Carlos E. R. wrote:
Most of us want the most recent versions available at the time of
release of that stable, without the hassle of having to run a
distribution that is continuously updating itself with software that
is not fully tested (by humans).

And that is exactly the point: "we, users" want a distribution with
latest available versions of all software but without the hassle of
having to run software that is not fully tested.

Was your mail meant as a joke or did you really manage to miss the
conflict between those two requirements?

Neither. There is a conflict which needs an equilibrium. Notice that the
goal was, IMO, fairly well achieved by the SuSE/SUSE/openSUSE
distribution for years, till Leap.

Apart from with the very real numbers provided by Michal (thanks!)

openSUSE-13.1 (3.11) 665 259 924
openSUSE-13.2 (3.16) 856 187 1043
openSUSE-42.1 (4.1 - LTS) 2473 70 2543
evergreen-11.4 (3.0 / SLE11-SP2) 3778 942 4720
evergreen-13.1 (3.12 / SLE12-SP1) 6208 932 7140
openSUSE-42.2 (4.4 / SLE12-SP2) 1451 257 1708

This quite clearly shows that the openSUSE community suffered with
openSUSE 13.1 and 13.2 which compared to 42.2 *already* has more
upstream work done to it AND more fixes by our own team.

The 'equilibrium' you claim is a false perception that does no measure
well with the reality of what really happened in evergreen, openSUSE
13.x, and is happening in Leap.

Carlos, you've been around this list long enough, you have probably
seen me and Michal argue enough times to think that it would be a cold
day in hell before me and him ever agreed about anything

Well find a warm jacket, because I agree with Michal.